Pages

Friday, January 20, 2017

The Friday Five: Songs That Take You Back


What's better than blogging?

Be sure to check out...

Nora Davis


Kimmie Stephens



I recently read an article about music and memory. The author was pondering why she could hear a song from two decades ago and be instantly transported back to that time and place. It really is amazing. There are certain songs that evoke a feeling so substantial that you can hear them and you are 7 years old again dancing without a care in the world.

Psychologists have called this the ‘reminiscence bump’. Many of these song memories are from our first 25 years of life. They believe this is because songs from our past are connected to memories of when we are experiencing things for the first time, becoming independent, and searching for meaning.

I started thinking about what songs bring up the most heartwarming memories for me. I challenge you to think of 5 songs that instantly bring you joy when you hear them. I know it is hard to think of just 5 and when I hear some of your top 5 songs I know I am going to have music FOMO!

Here we go...

1. Bop by Dan Seals


This was the first song I thought of when I read the article. The home video above is one of our family favorites. I think I am about 5 in this video and it basically proves that I have basically been a hot mess since birth. This song almost makes me feel the childhood joy running through my veins. My dad is very musical, he can play almost any instrument. Of course, I wanted to be just like him. I guess we probably should have started with how to hold the guitar correctly. Clearly, I knew none of the words. But check out minute 2:40 to see some real power ballading and a wardrobe malfunction. 

2. Carry On by Pat Green

Hearing this song takes me right back to West Texas. Pat is my favorite Red Raider alum and I have seen him in concert at least 15 times. My favorite concert ever was in Amarillo. TRL (Tracy, Rachelle, and Lexie) took our show on the road and drove from Lubbock to see Pat play. We got to meet him after the concert and took all kinds of pictures. It was before he was big and before Nashville and Uptown started calling. This is one of my favorite college memories. Oh, and we stayed at a Motel 6 and ate Waffle House. #college


3. Shimmer by Fuel

Every time I hear this song, I am transported back to Plano nights, sixteen years old, with my BFF Alison, driving around with the windows down and singing at the top of our lungs. Back then, I drove a red Ford Explorer. It had a Clifford alarm system so naturally, I named that car Clifford. I even got vanity plates put on it. I only drove Clifford for 2 years, but it was the single biggest symbol of my teenage independence.

4. Heaven is a Place on Earth by Belinda Carlisle

Oh, the 80's! I can remember my dad playing this record for me and dancing around my room like a whackadoodle. This ridiculous 80's dance outfit was not for a costume party, but I wish I had something similar now. Leg warmers, suspenders, and tights, oh my! 

5. Surfin' USA by the Beach Boys


Anyone who has known my family for a long time knows I had to choose at least one Beach Boys song. I had a REALLY hard time picking just one, but this one eventually won out. It reminds me of summers in the pool. I mean, who doesn't love "surfing" on a pool  float? I used to play a game where you had to stand up on the float and start singing "Surfin' USA". The challenge was to see how far along in the song you could get before falling over into the water. Side note- I can sing this song really fast.

Also important to know- I didn't listen to the radio until 6th grade. My knowledge of oldies music is vast and it has helped me from time to time at trivia. My dad would love nothing more than to go back in time. He has an entire room of old collectibles...

A Fender signed by Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys

Jukebox


Pinball Machine 

Slot Machine- I used to sit here in high school to try to earn extra allowance money :) 

Digger Prize Machine

Coke Machine- it is always stocked with fun different flavored sodas 
 

Side note- I almost picked Kokomo. Am I alone here or did anyone else think the song said, "Your mom's a rotten steak" instead of "Montserrat mystique"?. This picture just feels a little like Kokomo...except the glasses. I also had a red pair just like these. Hello, Sally Jesse Raphael!

That's it for the Friday 5! Join us next time for favorite quotes! 


4 comments:

  1. 1. Another Bites the Dust by Queen -- I can almost smell the skating rink!!
    2. Private Eyes by Halls and Oates -- I remember singing this in the car with my mom (don't forget to add the clap clap)
    3. Washington Post and/or Stars and Stripes Forever by John Phillip Sousa This reminds me of my Dad. He is a musician and marches are some of his favorites even though jazz is his forte.
    4. Cherry Bomb by John Melloncamp. This reminds me of summer during junior high.
    5. Thriller by Michael Jackson No explanation needed!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are some great ones!!! Ohhh the skating rink! Fun times. Thanks for sharing :)

      Delete
  2. Yessss! And I love that your car was named Clifford - that is too good and is just like foreshadowing to your future as a first grade teacher! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I am a random person on the Internet and I, too, used to think that line from "Kokomo" said "your mom's a rotten steak".

    ReplyDelete