Pages

Wednesday, September 20, 2017

What's Up Wednesday: A Beautiful Oops

 A Beautiful Oops!

This is a  first grade lesson designed to remind kids that it is ok to make mistakes. When you do make mistakes, you get the chance to try to learn and grow from them. Plus, it happens to everyone...especially me! 

I asked, "How do you feel when you make a mistake?" They said things like...
Horrible
Grumpy
Frustrated
Embarrassed
Gross
Angry at myself
Sad
Like I'm going to get in trouble

Then I read this book...
It teaches students that anyone can turn their mistakes into something beautiful. 
 Next, I told them I had been trying to paint a watercolor picture, but I kept making mistakes. I was about to throw away all my messed up papers and then I remembered the lesson I learned from this book. I wondered if the 1st graders could help me turn my mistakes into something beautiful. 

Imagination at work...



The loved turning the watercolor "oops" papers into something more creative, dynamic, and imaginative. I was SO impressed by their outside of the box thinking. I love giving students the opportunity to create without limits because they always surprise me with their ideas.

I only let them use crayons for this lesson, which sort of sets limits on their creativity. The book has some 3D/pop-up images, and it might be fun to have a tub full of old craft items that they could use to make their "oops" papers pop! I'm thinking I could put out scraps of paper, pipe cleaners, crumpled up tissue paper, and maybe some yarn.

-Book: Beautiful Oops by Barney Saltzberg
-Water Colors to create the "oops" pages
-Crayons and other craft materials.


I am obsessed with these creative answers...







Side note- I have my very own guidance rooms this year!!!! Literally JUMPING for JOY over here! I forgot how expensive it can be to decorate a classroom, so I made my bulletin boards with all kinds of thrifty items. Mama Bulino found these adorable cupcake holders for me, so I turned them into a border for this bulletin board. 
I am so excited to have a place to showcase student work as we go through the year. I have been busy, busy decorating the guidance rooms and will do a blog post on those soon.

I hope you have a great Wednesday! See you next time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment