Pages

Monday, January 23, 2017

Motivation Monday: How Do They Do It?

I think I have made it pretty clear that I believe our school is the best school in the universe. Year after year, the scores prove that our students are learning and reaching above goals that are set for them by the state. But it's not just the scores. It's the relationships, commitment, and dedication to the craft of education that makes this school a success.

Collaboration makes a team, a school, or a district a cohesive unit and a model of support. We have often had teachers from other schools come out to observe our teams and their teaching strategies. I think that's great, but it hardly ever answers the question, "How do they do it?".

Just the other day someone said to me, "What's in the water over there at Beverly? How are your students performing so well?" I really thought about that question. It's hard for me to put it into words. Also, I have never worked anywhere else, so I don't really know how it compares to other schools. I think I can narrow it down to 3 key things:

1. Is this parking lot ever empty?

School starts at 7:30, but at 6:10 in the morning, the first cars start to pull into the front lot. It is full by 7:00, so if you needed to make a Starbucks pit stop, you might have to park in the back! It's not just the morning. School ends at 3:30, but at 6:30 pm, there are AT LEAST 15 teachers still in the building. Many nights there are teachers here until 8:00 or 9:00. So what on earth are teachers doing in the building hours after their contract time ends? Getting paid overtime? Haha NO!
Our staff doesn't have time to plan, come up with lessons, or finish a project during the school day because they are tirelessly teaching. These type A teachers I work with know that they will not be able to sleep if they haven't figured out the new tip or trick to reach that one student who isn't quite getting it. They plan elaborate lessons that they know will have the greatest impact on their students, even if it takes up a ton of their free time.

2. They never stop learning EVER.

Lifelong learning isn't just something we tell our students about, we model it too. Every single person in this building loves to learn new ideas, share new strategies, and discover new technology. I know some people can't stand professional development, but everyone at our school actually loves it. I know, we are a bunch of weirdos. You can feel the buzz in the air after a great training and see the excitement when someone is trying a new idea.
Our district recently started a digital badges program. It is an optional way to further your technology skills and earn a little reward. Kind of like girl scouts. Well, at one point they mentioned a competition and our staff was off and running with that challenge. I can't tell you how many people have come into my room beaming about something new they learned or they are emailing a new video creation. Their genuine joy over the love of learning is contagious.

3. Their students are their children.

All you need to do to see this in action is to be here on the last day of school. You would think that teachers all over the world rejoice and look something like this on the last day...
I am sure in some places that is true. Here at Beverly, teachers, students, and parents are all in tears. They love each other so much and realize that a special year is over and that they won't see everyone they love for the whole summer. Many teachers organize play dates or fun treats over the summer just so they can see their sweet little babies one more time before they go to the next grade level. We look more like this on the last day...

You'll also hear teachers saying, "Oh are you talking about MY Sally Jo?" And guess what? Sally Jo hasn't been in their class for 3 years, but once you love those babies like your own, you love them forever.

So that's it. There is no magic trick or big secret. It's the culture of this school and the dedication of the staff, students, and community members that make this school unique. I am thankful every day to be a part of it.

Happy Monday!

1 comment:

  1. So so true! I cried so hard the last day of school every year, but especially the year it was my last in the classroom! My babies will ALWAYS me mine!

    ReplyDelete