Pages

Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Teacher Tuesday: Lindsay Carter Edition


Special Update

This interview was done while Lindsay was about 8 months pregnant. I am happy to report that she gave birth to a healthy baby boy over the weekend. Campbell Carter was born on Saturday at 4:54 am. He was 7lbs 2oz and just perfect. I can't wait to meet that sweet baby boy. Just look at how precious he is...
 
 

Three years ago, Kinder and 1st were both losing a teacher and needed to find some stellar replacements. One of my besties, Nora, was the Kinder Team Leader and I was the 1st grade Team Leader. We interviewed 2 amazing girls and hired them both. The big question was, who gets who?
Lindsay and Kimmie are both stellar teachers and we finally decided Lindsay was the best fit for Kinder and Kimmie was the best fit for first. From the beginning it was love. I kind of like to think that Nora and I were like their sorority big sisters. We had so much fun breaking them in to the Beverly way of life, and they were both such assets to our teams.

Lindsay is an amazing teacher. She loves her students so much and spends a ton of her free time going to birthday parties, soccer games, and dance recitals. She knows the value of knowing her students outside of school. Parents and students alike love Mrs. Carter and think of her as a part of their family.
Lindsay just started her maternity leave and I will miss seeing her precious face around school. She is a fellow partner and crime and is always up for doing something silly and fun. Our most recent adventure was our "Reindeer on That Beat" performance featuring Lindsay as Rudolph. 
Get ready for a treat! You are about to hear from the amazing, Lindsay Carter! 




How long have you been teaching? 

6 years

What is your classroom decor? 

I have a lot of bright colors in my room. It's fun and exciting, just like Kinder!


Lindsay's room is so bright and cheery. I love going in there and her kids love learning there.






What is your favorite story about a student? 

My favorite story is a new one that has just happened this year. The most precious little boy came back from the restroom with a wet t-shirt. Now, in Kinder coming back from the restroom with a wet shirt could really be anything. So, the little boy comes up to me and says "umm Mrs. Carter, I fink I forgot to aim or sumfin and well, the stuff from my body just keep going and going. I fink I need to go change or sumfin."

What is your favorite lesson to teach?

My favorite lesson is teaching kids about other customs and traditions. We spend 3 weeks doing a Holidays Around the World lesson where we "travel" to different locations. During this time, that tricky little guy The Gingerbread Man has also run away from the classroom and he writes us postcards from around the world about his travels. As we get them, we make sure to track them on the map. It adds so much magic and fun mixed in with their learning of geography.


Look at all these postcards they collected this year. Gingy went to some really cool places! 
Check out some of the crafts they made while learning about different customs and traditions.


What inspires you? What is your strong?

My co-workers, especially my amazing team. I love seeing and hearing all of the wonderful things going on at Beverly. My team and I could spend hours creating and planning. We are really good at meeting the needs of our students and with kindergarten, the needs fall on a very wide spectrum, but it continuously keeps things new and exciting even for us!

What is your favorite Techy Tool?

I love the green screen. It is so much fun and the kids love it!

What is your favorite Caffeinated Beverage?

Dr. Pepper

What is your favorite school celebration?

Some might not consider it a celebration, but I love Open House. Throughout the year we have been saving samples of student work. At Open House, the parents are presented with a portfolio of all the work throughout the year. It is truly amazing to see how much the kids have grown. Not only do the parents see the growth, but the kids do too. They find it so funny to look at their handwriting, coloring or cutting from the beginning of the year. To me, it's a celebration of each child's hard work and success.

What is your favorite thing to do in your free time?

In my free time, I like to shop. It's not the best hobby to have, but I try and control it. I don't just shop for clothes, but home goods too! Oh, and toys for my 2 cute dogs :)
And I have a feeling she will be doing a lot of shopping for that cute baby boy too!

Tell us your best classroom management trick.

Starting in October, we have a holiday buddy that is "watching" our class. When a child is caught being kind, working hard, or being a good citizen, the buddy will magically appear at a child's table, locker or learning rug spot to deliver them a little prize. The holiday buddies eventually go back to "Holiday World" and we hope a new one comes with a new month. The kids constantly try and catch me moving him/her, but can't quite figure out how I could have done it. They also rush into the classroom or to their locker frequently to check if the buddy flew to them. It's really fun!
VIP picture of the holiday buddies. No one knows how they all got together for this magical picture?

Favorite teacher you've ever had?

My favorite teacher was my Kindergarten teacher. Kindergarten was only half day at that time and was extremely different than it is now. I don't remember what all I learned in her class, but I remember feeling loved and important. Oh, and also that she wore heels and pearls every day.

Who is your favorite children's author?

I love Mo Willems

Oh, how I adore a good Kindergarten interview. Camille and James are both hilarious and I knew they would love to tell me all about their sweet teacher. My favorite part was their advice for her as a new mommy. Perfect timing, Lindsay. I know you will take their words of wisdom to heart.

1. How old is your teacher?

C- 36
J- 25

2. What does your teacher do for fun?

C- Go to Houston and go to a wedding
J- Play soccer

3. What would your teacher do with $1,000,000?

C- Buy an automatic building with an automatic window shutter and door locker.
J- Teacher stuff

James and Camille might be right, but I think she would just do some down home Canton shopping! 

4. If your teacher wasn't a teacher, what would she be?

C- A Doctor! She is good at helping us when we are hurt just like Nurse Kriska
J-A Firefighter. She saves us all the time like that.

5. If your teacher was a fruit, which one would she be?

C- A grape because they are round like her belly. Don't forget she was 8 months preggo, y'all! 
J- An apple because it's sweet.

6. What scares your teacher?

C- Bats
J- Owls that don't have evidence and bump into her. Hmmm...I am not even sure what this means, but it definitely sounds scary.

7. What is something your teacher doesn't like?

C- Bad choices at school
J- Spicy candy canes

8. If your teacher could teleport, where would she go?

C- Alaska because it is sunny.
J- Kentucky because my grandma lives there.

9. What makes your teacher so special?

C- She helps us spell.
J- She is so nice.

When I asked about her husband Chase, they told me these earth shattering revelations:

1. He is a boy.
2. He likes fruits.
3. He likes to drive around town a lot. 

Baby Advice From James:

1. Watch out, it's gonna slobber A LOT.
2. It can't eat pizza, so don't give it any.
3. She should name the baby either James or Coopy.

Baby Advice From Camille:

1. You're gonna have to change its diaper.
2. You gotta make it sleep.
3. You can't just stick it in the car. You are going to need a car seat.
4. You gotta keep track of it. Maybe she should get a baby gate to keep in locked in place. 

LC, you have some stellar advice here. I hope this helps you out with that sweet baby boy of yours. I love you to the moon and am so excited for you and your growing family. Enjoy those baby snuggles! 





No comments:

Post a Comment