Pages

Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Teacher Tuesday: Joelle Garcia Edition



Joelle is one of our fabulous 5th grade teachers. She is also one of the funniest people I have ever met. She loves to play pranks on one of her besties, our school nurse Jennifer. 

Joelle helped open our school in 1998 and was a part of the 2nd grade team. She later moved to 4th and then 5th. Both of her daughters were students at Beverly because she has such pride in our school and knew that they would get an unbelievable education there. I think this is part of what makes our school so amazing. Everyone there believes in each other and the school as a whole. 
Look at her beautiful daughters! 

Something I admire in Joelle is that she is always willing to try something new. A new trend in education is flexible seating. This provides differentiation for different styles of learners. She applied for a Donors Choose grant and was able to get standing desks for her classroom. The students love the standing desks, and I do too. It also really helps some of our fidgety learners to focus and learn in the best way possible.
 One of her very cool standing desks.


I have gotten to know Joelle so much better over the last year and a half and I am so glad! We have even done a few 5K's together and had a lot of fun! 


 

Teacher Interview

How long have you been teaching? 

20 years

What is your classroom decor? 

Turtles! The take their time and always finish the race!


 Mrs. Garcia's students are convinced there is a hidden camera in the eye of this turtle.





What is your favorite lesson to teach?

I love teaching hands-on math lessons and anything related to American history!

I have my 5th grade guidance lessons at the end of the day, right as they are finishing up their social studies lessons. Sometimes, I sneak into Joelle's room 5 minutes early to get a quick refresher course in history. She explains things so well and the kids are always engaged in the lessons.

What inspires you? What is your strong?

My parents who have always modeled unconditional love, support, and patience!

What is your favorite Techy Tool?

Love my iPad.

What is your favorite Caffeinated Beverage?

Coffee or unsweet iced tea! 

What is your favorite school celebration?

Valentine's Day

What is your favorite thing to do in your free time?

Spend time with my family in Fredericksburg, TX.


Look at the gorgeous scenery at the 4B.

Such a sweet family.

Tell us your best classroom management trick.

Firm but fair. I say what I mean and I mean what I say. I try to anticipate problems and be creative with their solutions.

Favorite teacher you've ever had?

Life. It's been hard to learn the hard way sometimes!
Other than life, my favorite teacher was Mrs. Glenn, my kindergarten teacher at Thornwood Elementary School in Houston, TX. She had wonderful Farrah Fawcett hair (with wings) and would always kneel down to talk face to face. She spoke softly and would let us smell an awesome vanilla candle on her desk when we needed a break from a lesson.



Landon and Sabrina helped me out with this interview. These two are so sweet, but also totally hilarious. They are a perfect match for their teacher.

1. How old is your teacher?

L- 47?
S- I think she likes to be called 29. Yea, me too! 

2. What does your teacher do for fun?

L- Goes to OSU football games
S- Hangs out with students. Why do all kids think this? I guess they know how much we love them?

3. What would your teacher do with $1,000,000?

L-Give a portion to our school and then buy a dream car like a Mazerati
S- Give it to charity. And buy some candy.

4. If your teacher wasn't a teacher, what would she be?

L- A mentor to students
S- A volunteer or a soccer coach

5. If your teacher was a fruit, which one would she be?

L- An orange because she has bright ideas.
S- A cherry because she is sweet. 

6. What scares your teacher?

L- Snakes
S- Bugs

7. What is something your teacher doesn't like?

L- People not following directions
S- People blurting out answers

8. If your teacher could teleport, where would she go?

L- To a beach in Fiji
S- Back in time to when she got married. I bet that was a fun party.

I bet you are right, Sabrina! Look at these cute lovebirds! 

9. What makes your teacher so special?

L-How open she is to other people and their ideas.
S- Her silliness



That's all for today! I hope you enjoyed this Teacher Tuesday as much as I did! 


No comments:

Post a Comment