Pages

Monday, January 9, 2017

Motivation Monday: Just Breathe

Ok, y'all know how much I love my Apple Watch. I won't go on and on about it again, but seriously you need one!

Several times per day the watch vibrates and I anxiously check to see what fun text or email I have received, only to be disappointed by the "Time to Breathe" notification that has popped up. If you follow along with the breathing exercise, you get one minute to breathe while following a bubble that expands and contracts on the watch face.


\Over Winter Break, when the watch was new and I had all the time in the world, I did just that. I stopped whatever I was doing and practiced my breathing along with the exercise on the watch.

Then school started. I have snoozed or dismissed that notification every single time since January 2nd. Why? Do I not have one minute to take a second to decompress? Is one minute really going to matter in the grand scheme of things?

Research has proven that taking deep breaths will help you recenter and focus on the task at hand. I am going to try to do a better job of doing what the watch tells me to do. After all, it is pretty much a genius.

One of my sweet counselor friends presented at an Ed Camp recently and showed us her "breathing ball". She uses it at the beginning of guidance lessons to help students calm down and switch gears from the hustle and bustle of classroom life. She had us practice breathing along with her for 30 seconds and I could instantly tell a difference. I was better able to focus and listen attentively. It looks a little something like this and I will be buying one very soon.

This song comes to mind and was one of my favorites back in the day.


Life's like an hourglass, glued to the table. She's right. It doesn't matter what you do, time marches on. So why not own that time and do something for yourself. Ok everyone, take a quick second and breathe, just breathe.

No comments:

Post a Comment