Pages

Friday, March 31, 2017

Friday 5: Classroom Management


Welcome back to the Friday 5

Be sure to check out...

Nora Davis


Kimmie Stephens


This week we are talking about classroom management strategies. There are so many things that go into good classroom management and hundreds of resources online. These are just a few of my favorites that define my teaching philosophy.

Get to Know Them

Disclaimer: This is the one nearest and dearest to my heart. It's a lot longer than the other four, but at least there are cute pictures of sweet kiddos to entertain you.

I truly believe that the number one factor in teacher and student success is a healthy, respectful relationship. Teachers are with their students for almost 8 hours a day. Sometimes more. They are teaching the state requirements in reading, writing, and math, but they are also teaching life lessons. Teachers start getting used to being called "mom" by kids that aren't theirs biologically because sometimes it feels that way. One of our teachers refers to herself as their "other mother". When students know you care about them as a person, they are much more likely to sit and listen to you...even if something seems boring to them.

So go to the soccer games and birthday parties...


Run a 5K with them...

 

Be SILLY. Do a little Whip and Nae Nae with them...

and listen to their stories about their weekend. Really listen.

And then, of course, let them get to know you. Teachers aren't robots who sleep at school...even if we feel like that some days. We have interests, hobbies, and families. I used to tell my class all about my kickball team, my traveling adventures, and even just what a typical night at home looked like for me. They love that stuff.

 So, let them meet your dog...

 Tell them about the college football team you love so much...

Maybe you'll  even turn a Longhorn into a Texas Tech fan if you are lucky...
 Check out that cutie with his gun up. Maybe my favorite picture ever.


Attention Grabbers

These attention grabbers have been around for awhile and maybe you have heard of some of them...

Those are all really good ones, but I wanted one that was unique to my class. My entire first grade class was covered in owls. Between the decorations, bulletin boards, and stuffed animals there were A LOT. One of my classes decided to try to count them one day. They counted 279 and did some pretty intense calculations. Real world learning for the win. So, to get their attention I would say,
"HOOT HOOT!" and they would respond,
 "We're Cute!" and then kind of perch like owls ready to listen. 


Friendly Competition

A few years ago, I had a class filled with creative, ambitious, determined, and VERY talkative students. I tried class compliment challenges, rewards for good behavior, and daily listening awards. Nothing seemed to work. The previous summer, I had attended our district Team Leader academy and got a new trick from a fellow teacher. She said, "Let them compete with each other rather than as a class." I gave each table a sticker chart (owl themed of course) and the table who would get quietest the fastest, put their things away first, or be ready to move on to the next activity would get a sticker on their sticker chart. The first table to fill their chart got a special dance party lunch in the classroom. Worked like a charm.



Silence is Golden

When you REALLY need them to listen, turn it into a secret. Get really quiet, add a little suspense, and act like you are letting them in on the biggest secret you have ever heard. Pin drop? Or Mic drop?



Restorative Practices


This is a new one for me. I spent the fall with some fellow counselors learning the basics of this positive behavior support system. Then last month, my principal and I were able to attend a 2-day seminar with an instructor from the RP institute. I learned so much and have already been able to use some of the strategies in my counseling groups.


RP utilizes group circle chats to promote positive conversations, build connections, and solve problems. Through a series of questions, children learn to communicate calmly to work out their problems, take the blame when necessary, give constructive criticism, and support the classroom environment.  

The following is a great resource for teaching communication skills and developing empathy in young children. I am so excited to use more of this program in the future. 


That's all for this Frday! Have a great weekend!




No comments:

Post a Comment