Pages

Wednesday, September 6, 2017

What's Up Wednesday: The ABC's of School Counseling


Welcome to What's Up Wednesday!  am changing up the format this year and each WUW blog post will feature a different guidance lesson. The letters in What's Up will walk you through the lesson and give you an inside look into the world of school counseling.

This is a little intro I did for my 5th grade classes. They pretty much know the drill for guidance by now, so I asked them for a little help in decorating my new room. I got this idea from my girl Kimmie over at Elementarynerd.com when she tweeted me an awesome student-centered classroom from one of her high school teachers.  Check out the original inspiration here! 

The empty walls were enough to make them jump right in to help decorate. We sat in a circle and went around giving each person a turn to share something they remember learning in guidance classes in the past. Then, I gave them 3 minutes to brainstorm on their own paper and fill in the blanks from A-Z. I was impressed with their creative and thoughtful responses.


They thought it was fun to share their ideas and to think about the fact that these posters would be part of the decor for all Beverly students to see. They were also very proud of the creativity in their answers. Even though we just did this activity today, many of them are asking when I will be putting them up and of course, they all want to help. 

Honestly, I liked this one so much that I might have to keep it for next year. Maybe I will change out a few of the posters if they are different or add in a new concept? It really made me happy to see that they remembered so much...even things they sometimes act like they are too grown up to do. You know they secretly love that stuff...especially that little green frog who teaches them to solve problems with friends. #Kelso

I am also planning on taking a picture of each class and putting it under the letter that their teacher's last name begins with. That will add an even more student-centered, personal element to the room and decor. I will post a ton of pictures when I finally get it all situated! 

Not much! I just gave them the A-Z paper shown below and let them go for it! To create the posters, I am using my beloved Hello Fonts and clip art by Creative Clips, Whimsy Clips, & EduClips. #clipartjunkie #fontaholic #obsessed

I am nowhere near finished, but I made these slides just so you could get an idea of the things they came up with...

And my very favorite idea...


That's all for now...have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment