Pages

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

What's Up Wednesday

Welcome back to What's Up Wednesday! 



What I'm Working On

One of my goals this year is to grow professionally in my knowledge of social and emotional learning. One of my colleagues recommended this book by Brene Brown...
It is all about taking risks, vulnerability, and realizing that failure and error are normal parts of the human existence. Before I started reading, I thought to myself, "Well, that's something I teach kids all the time. I talk about having a growth mindset and that making mistakes is normal. We learn from our mistakes." 

Well let me tell you, I haven't even gotten past the introduction and I am realizing that this book is going to make me take a long hard look at myself. I am following along with a book study and it is challenging me on a whole other level. It wants me to write down my FAILURES?? Wait, can't I just keep them a secret? It wants me to describe my vulnerabilities. ON PAPER? I mean, I was working on it at home and was covering it up as if someone were going to bust into my living room and see what I had written. So clearly, I have not been following my own advice. I am excited to see what kind of personal journey this book takes me on. Maybe I will even get to the point where I can write some of my vulnerabilities here. On this blog. On the internet, where EVERYONE can see?!?! 


Heard Around the Halls

Today I ate lunch with a bunch of 4th grade boys as part of our "New Crew" activities. This week, we added in student ambassadors who are students chosen from each class to help make our newbies feel welcome. I was so impressed with these kiddos who were open, honest, and collaborative. One of the activities we did required them to choose one of the following Dr. Seuss quotes and relate it to welcoming new people or how they might feel about being new.


One boy chose, "You miss the best things if you keep your eyes shut." He then spoke directly to our new students and said, "Don't shut your eyes. Keep them wide open. School here is a wild ride and there are friends waiting around every corner. Remember, Beverly Bobcats are always kind. We are so glad you are at our school." It just so happens that I taught this sweet boy in 1st grade and I got a little teary eyed hearing this grown up wisdom and kindness coming out of his mouth.


A Counselor's Life

I am in charge of helping to plan Red Ribbon Week, our yearly anti-drug campaign. I have an awesome helper from our PTA that helps me and we work really well together.  Last year, we had a lot of fun with team sports day, wear red day, and crazy socks. This year, we are looking to add some different/new theme days into the mix. I found this on Pinterest which gives some great ideas. If you have any other suggestions, comment below on this post. I would love to hear them.

Right now I am really digging "Superheroes Don't Do Drugs". It's a really easy theme and if kids don't have a superhero costume, they can make a cape out of an old t-shirt by following a tutorial like this... Cape Tutorial

Technology Tip

I learned about this one from one of our awesome curriculum coordinators, Lisa. She showed this to us during a meeting when we were trying to look at student data that correlated to our state standards, Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS). It makes looking at state standards so easy. Of course, I know teachers will love it, but I think parents could find it really useful as well. This app is the yellow background with the state of Texas inside. You can find it by searching for TEKS in the app store.

Here's a quick look at how it works...

1. Choose the content area you are focusing on.

2. Choose the grade level.

3. Choose the standard you are focusing on and it will open up that strand so you can see the strand broken down into skills.

4. This is what it looks like once you choose one of the TEKS to view.

 5. In the top left corner you will see a speech box with lines where you can take notes. AMAZING. I wrote a note on the bottom as an example. I think this could be a great planning tool when looking at data from the year before or when looking at incoming students' strengths and areas for growth.


Something I am Listening To

On repeat. All day, every day. I get you, JT. I can't stop the feeling either. I can't stop it while I'm walking down the halls at school, making dinner, or even when I'm just driving in my car.  I have gotten a few weird looks from other drivers, but I'm sure they will figure out what I'm listening to and get their groove on with me. Side Note: who else could look that good in white on white denim?!?!


Uplifting Inspiration

Speaking of dancing, Amy Poehler #nailedit on this one...

This goes perfectly with my exploration into my own vulnerability. Don't just talk about it, be about it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment